Our family owned business was established in 1897 by William Francis Gormley who was a nephew of Sacramento’s first Catholic Bishop, Patrick Manogue. Bishop Manogue's determination, ingenuity and faith in the development of Reno and northern California was an intergral and notable factor in the early growth of Sacramento. During that time his nephew, William, was honored to serve as Sacramento’s first Sheriff and Coroner.
Out of these responsibilities, a family business began its sevice to early Sacramentans. In the following years William had three children, Mary, Manogue and Thomas, all of whom worked in and owned the business during their lives. Mary and Thomas never married but Manogue had three children, William (Bill), John (Jack), and Barbara Gormley. William and John also worked or owned a portion of the business.
William had a son, Patrick "Rick" M. Gormley, who has been dedicating himself to operating the business for 39 years. In the latter part of 2011, his son, Patrick M. Gormley Jr., joined the business ushering in a fifth generation.
Throughout our 115 years of dedication to families at the delicate time of losing a loved one, we have had three different locations. Our first location at 9th & J Streets included a livery and stable for a horse drawn hearse and carriages. This would begin a family tradition of service to the Sacramento community including all religions and customs that continues to this day. As our family grew and the business expanded, a decision was made to move to a new location.
In 1900, we moved from 9th & J Streets to 7th & H Streets. We then maintained the business for another 24 years there and continued to serve many early pioneering families during that time.
Between 1922 and 1924 our current location was constructed at 21st Street & Capitol Avenue. Just five blocks east of the Capitol, we are situated in the heart of midtown Sacramento. From this location we have served Sacramentans from all walks of life.
Our classically designed facility has a real “home” feel and includes a main chapel which seats 175 people and an adjacent family room which seats up to 25 family members. We have the capability of holding a service for approximately 275 guests. We offer other small rooms for viewing or visitation which provide that intimate setting. The main goal of our building and interior design is to make the family feel comfortable and welcoming.